192.177 Additional provisions for bottle-type holders.§ 192.177 Additional provisions for bottle-type holders.
(a) Each bottle-type holder must be -
(1) Located on a site entirely surrounded by fencing that prevents access by unauthorized persons and with minimum clearance from the fence as follows:
|Maximum allowable operating pressure||Minimum clearance feet (meters)|
|Less than 1,000 p.s.i. (7 MPa) gage||25 (7.6)|
|1,000 p.s.i. (7 MPa) gage or more||100 (31)|
(2) Designed using the design factors set forth in § 192.111; and
(3) Buried with a minimum cover in accordance with § 192.327.
(b) Each bottle-type holder manufactured from steel that is not weldable under field conditions must comply with the following:
(1) A bottle-type holder made from alloy steel must meet the chemical and tensile requirements for the various grades of steel in ASTM A372/372M (incorporated by reference, see § 192.7).
(2) The actual yield-tensile ratio of the steel may not exceed 0.85.
(3) Welding may not be performed on the holder after it has been heat treated or stress relieved, except that copper wires may be attached to the small diameter portion of the bottle end closure for cathodic protection if a localized thermit welding process is used.
(4) The holder must be given a mill hydrostatic test at a pressure that produces a hoop stress at least equal to 85 percent of the SMYS.
(5) The holder, connection pipe, and components must be leak tested after installation as required by subpart J of this part.[35 FR 13257, Aug. 19, 1970, as amended by Amdt. 192-58, 53 FR 1635, Jan. 21, 1988; Amdt. 192-62, 54 FR 5628, Feb. 6, 1989; 58 FR 14521, Mar. 18, 1993; Amdt. 192-85, 63 FR 37503, July 13, 1998; Amdt. 192-119, 80 FR 181, Jan. 5, 2015]