195.401 General requirements.§ 195.401 General requirements. Link to an amendment published at 84 FR 52295, Oct. 1, 2019.
(a) No operator may operate or maintain its pipeline systems at a level of safety lower than that required by this subpart and the procedures it is required to establish under § 195.402(a) of this subpart.
(b) An operator must make repairs on its pipeline system according to the following requirements:
(1) Non Integrity management repairs. Whenever an operator discovers any condition that could adversely affect the safe operation of its pipeline system, it must correct the condition within a reasonable time. However, if the condition is of such a nature that it presents an immediate hazard to persons or property, the operator may not operate the affected part of the system until it has corrected the unsafe condition.
(2) Integrity management repairs. When an operator discovers a condition on a pipeline covered under § 195.452, the operator must correct the condition as prescribed in § 195.452(h).
(c) Except as provided in § 195.5, no operator may operate any part of any of the following pipelines unless it was designed and constructed as required by this part:
(1) An interstate pipeline, other than a low-stress pipeline, on which construction was begun after March 31, 1970, that transports hazardous liquid.
(2) An interstate offshore gathering line, other than a low-stress pipeline, on which construction was begun after July 31, 1977, that transports hazardous liquid.
(3) An intrastate pipeline, other than a low-stress pipeline, on which construction was begun after October 20, 1985, that transports hazardous liquid.
(4) A pipeline on which construction was begun after July 11, 1991, that transports carbon dioxide.
(5) A low-stress pipeline on which construction was begun after August 10, 1994.[Amdt. 195-22, 46 FR 38360, July 27, 1981, as amended by Amdt. 195-33, 50 FR 15899, Apr. 23, 1985; Amdt. 195-33A, 50 FR 39008, Sept. 26, 1985; Amdt. 195-36, 51 FR 15008, Apr. 22, 1986; Amdt. 195-45, 56 FR 26926, June 12, 1991; Amdt. 195-53, 59 FR 35471, July 12, 1994; Amdt. 195-94, 75 FR 48607, Aug. 11, 2010]