192.9 What requirements apply to gathering lines§ 192.9 What requirements apply to gathering lines? Link to an amendment published at 84 FR 52244, Oct. 1, 2019.
(a) Requirements. An operator of a gathering line must follow the safety requirements of this part as prescribed by this section.
(b) Offshore lines. An operator of an offshore gathering line must comply with requirements of this part applicable to transmission lines, except the requirements in § 192.150 and in subpart O of this part.
(c) Type A lines. An operator of a Type A regulated onshore gathering line must comply with the requirements of this part applicable to transmission lines, except the requirements in § 192.150 and in subpart O of this part. However, an operator of a Type A regulated onshore gathering line in a Class 2 location may demonstrate compliance with subpart N by describing the processes it uses to determine the qualification of persons performing operations and maintenance tasks.
(d) Type B lines. An operator of a Type B regulated onshore gathering line must comply with the following requirements:
(1) If a line is new, replaced, relocated, or otherwise changed, the design, installation, construction, initial inspection, and initial testing must be in accordance with requirements of this part applicable to transmission lines;
(2) If the pipeline is metallic, control corrosion according to requirements of subpart I of this part applicable to transmission lines;
(3) If the pipeline contains plastic pipe or components, the operator must comply with all applicable requirements of this part for plastic pipe components;
(4) Carry out a damage prevention program under § 192.614;
(5) Establish a public education program under § 192.616;
(6) Establish the MAOP of the line under § 192.619;
(7) Install and maintain line markers according to the requirements for transmission lines in § 192.707; and
(8) Conduct leakage surveys in accordance with the requirements for transmission lines in § 192.706, using leak-detection equipment, and promptly repair hazardous leaks in accordance with § 192.703(c).
(e) Compliance deadlines. An operator of a regulated onshore gathering line must comply with the following deadlines, as applicable.
(1) An operator of a new, replaced, relocated, or otherwise changed line must be in compliance with the applicable requirements of this section by the date the line goes into service, unless an exception in § 192.13 applies.
(2) If a regulated onshore gathering line existing on April 14, 2006 was not previously subject to this part, an operator has until the date stated in the second column to comply with the applicable requirement for the line listed in the first column, unless the Administrator finds a later deadline is justified in a particular case:
|Control corrosion according to Subpart I requirements for transmission lines||April 15, 2009.|
|Carry out a damage prevention program under § 192.614||October 15, 2007.|
|Establish MAOP under § 192.619||October 15, 2007.|
|Install and maintain line markers under § 192.707||April 15, 2008.|
|Establish a public education program under § 192.616||April 15, 2008.|
|Other provisions of this part as required by paragraph (c) of this section for Type A lines||April 15, 2009.|
(3) If, after April 14, 2006, a change in class location or increase in dwelling density causes an onshore gathering line to be a regulated onshore gathering line, the operator has 1 year for Type B lines and 2 years for Type A lines after the line becomes a regulated onshore gathering line to comply with this section.[Amdt. 192-102, 71 FR 13301, Mar. 15, 2006, as amended by Amdt. 192-120, 80 FR 12777, Mar. 11, 2015; Amdt. 192-124, 83 FR 58716, Nov. 20, 2018]