192.503 General requirements.§ 192.503 General requirements.
(a) No person may operate a new segment of pipeline, or return to service a segment of pipeline that has been relocated or replaced, until -
(1) It has been tested in accordance with this subpart and § 192.619 to substantiate the maximum allowable operating pressure; and
(2) Each potentially hazardous leak has been located and eliminated.
(b) The test medium must be liquid, air, natural gas, or inert gas that is -
(1) Compatible with the material of which the pipeline is constructed;
(2) Relatively free of sedimentary materials; and
(3) Except for natural gas, nonflammable.
(c) Except as provided in § 192.505(a), if air, natural gas, or inert gas is used as the test medium, the following maximum hoop stress limitations apply:
|Class location||Maximum hoop stress allowed as percentage of SMYS|
|Natural gas||Air or inert gas|
(d) Each joint used to tie in a test segment of pipeline is excepted from the specific test requirements of this subpart, but each non-welded joint must be leak tested at not less than its operating pressure.
(e) If a component other than pipe is the only item being replaced or added to a pipeline, a strength test after installation is not required, if the manufacturer of the component certifies that:
(1) The component was tested to at least the pressure required for the pipeline to which it is being added;
(2) The component was manufactured under a quality control system that ensures that each item manufactured is at least equal in strength to a prototype and that the prototype was tested to at least the pressure required for the pipeline to which it is being added; or
(3) The component carries a pressure rating established through applicable ASME/ANSI, Manufacturers Standardization Society of the Valve and Fittings Industry, Inc. (MSS) specifications, or by unit strength calculations as described in § 192.143.[35 FR 13257, Aug. 19, 1970, as amended by Amdt. 192-58, 53 FR 1635, Jan. 21, 1988; Amdt. 192-60, 53 FR 36029, Sept. 16, 1988; Amdt. 192-60A, 54 FR 5485, Feb. 3, 1989; Amdt. 192-120, 80 FR 12779, Mar. 11, 2015]