192.1 What is the scope of this part§ 192.1 What is the scope of this part?
(a) This part prescribes minimum safety requirements for pipeline facilities and the transportation of gas, including pipeline facilities and the transportation of gas within the limits of the outer continental shelf as that term is defined in the Outer Continental Shelf Lands Act (43 U.S.C. 1331).
(b) This part does not apply to -
(1) Offshore gathering of gas in State waters upstream from the outlet flange of each facility where hydrocarbons are produced or where produced hydrocarbons are first separated, dehydrated, or otherwise processed, whichever facility is farther downstream;
(2) Pipelines on the Outer Continental Shelf (OCS) that are producer-operated and cross into State waters without first connecting to a transporting operator's facility on the OCS, upstream (generally seaward) of the last valve on the last production facility on the OCS. Safety equipment protecting PHMSA-regulated pipeline segments is not excluded. Producing operators for those pipeline segments upstream of the last valve of the last production facility on the OCS may petition the Administrator, or designee, for approval to operate under PHMSA regulations governing pipeline design, construction, operation, and maintenance under 49 CFR 190.9;
(3) Pipelines on the Outer Continental Shelf upstream of the point at which operating responsibility transfers from a producing operator to a transporting operator;
(4) Onshore gathering of gas -
(i) Through a pipeline that operates at less than 0 psig (0 kPa);
(ii) Through a pipeline that is not a regulated onshore gathering line (as determined in § 192.8); and
(iii) Within inlets of the Gulf of Mexico, except for the requirements in § 192.612; or
(5) Any pipeline system that transports only petroleum gas or petroleum gas/air mixtures to -
(i) Fewer than 10 customers, if no portion of the system is located in a public place; or
(ii) A single customer, if the system is located entirely on the customer's premises (no matter if a portion of the system is located in a public place).[35 FR 13257, Aug. 19, 1970, as amended by Amdt. 192-27, 41 FR 34605, Aug. 16, 1976; Amdt. 192-67, 56 FR 63771, Dec. 5, 1991; Amdt. 192-78, 61 FR 28782, June 6, 1996; Amdt. 192-81, 62 FR 61695, Nov. 19, 1997; Amdt. 192-92, 68 FR 46112, Aug. 5, 2003; 70 FR 11139, Mar. 8, 2005; Amdt. 192-102, 71 FR 13301, Mar. 15, 2006; Amdt. 192-103, 72 FR 4656, Feb. 1, 2007]