109.9 Transportation for examination and analysis.§ 109.9 Transportation for examination and analysis.
(a) An agent may direct a package to be transported to a facility for examination and analysis when the agent determines that:
(1) Further examination of the package is necessary to evaluate whether the package conforms to subchapter C of this chapter;
(2) Conflicting information concerning the package exists; or
(3) Additional investigation is not possible on the immediate premises.
(b) In the event of a determination in accordance with paragraph (a) of this section, an agent may:
(1) Direct the offeror of the package, or other person responsible for the package, to have the package transported to a facility where the material may be examined and analyzed;
(2) Direct the packaging manufacturer or tester of the packaging to have the package transported to a facility where the packaging may be tested in accordance with the HMR; or
(3) Direct the carrier to transport the package to a facility capable of conducting such examination and analysis.
(c) The 48-hour removal period provided in § 109.7 may be extended in writing by the Administrator pending the conclusion of examination and analysis under this section.