51.2110 U.S. No. 1 Whole and Broken.§ 51.2110 U.S. No. 1 Whole and Broken.
“U.S. No. 1 Whole and Broken” consists of shelled almonds of similar varietal characteristics which are clean and well dried, and which are free from decay, rancidity, insect injury, foreign material, doubles, particles and dust, and free from damage caused by mold, gum, shriveling, brown spot or other means.
(a) In this grade not less than 30 percent, by weight, of the kernels shall be whole. Doubles shall not be considered as whole kernels in determining the percentage of whole kernels.
(b) Unless otherwise specified, the minimum diameter shall be not less than 20/64 of an inch (7.9 mm). (See §§ 51.2113 and 51.2114.)
(c) In order to allow for variations incident to proper grading and handling, the following tolerances, by weight, shall be permitted:
(1) For dissimilar varieties. 5 percent, including not more than one-fifth of this amount, or 1 percent, for bitter almonds mixed with sweet almonds;
(2) For doubles. 35 percent;
(3) For foreign material. Two-tenths of 1 percent (0.20 percent). No part of this percentage shall be allowed for glass and metal;
(4) For particles and dust. One-tenth of 1 percent (0.10 percent);
(5) For undersize. 5 percent; and,
(6) For other defects. 5 percent, including not more than three-fifths of this amount, or 3 percent, for serious damage.