611.307 Overall Small Starts project ratings.§ 611.307 Overall Small Starts project ratings.
(a) The summary ratings developed for project justification and local financial commitment (§§ 611.303(f) and 611.305(i)) will form the basis for the overall rating for each project.
(b) FTA will assign overall project ratings to each proposed project of “high,” “medium-high, “medium,” ”medium-low,” or “low,” as required by 49 U.S.C. 5309(e)(8).
(1) These ratings will indicate the overall merit of a proposed Small Starts project at the time of evaluation.
(2) Ratings for individual projects will be developed prior to an EGA.
(c) These ratings will be used to:
(1) Approve or deny projects for EGAs; and
(2) Support annual funding recommendations to Congress in the Annual Report on Funding Recommendations required by 49 U.S.C. 5309(k)(1).
(d) FTA will assign overall ratings for proposed Small Starts projects by averaging the summary ratings for project justification and local financial commitment. When the average of these ratings is unclear (e.g., summary project justification rating of “medium-high” and summary local financial commitment rating of “medium”), FTA will round up the overall rating to the higher rating except in the following circumstances:
(1) A “medium” overall rating requires a rating of at least “medium” on both project justification and local financial commitment.
(2) If a project receives a “low” rating on either project justification or local financial commitment, the overall rating will be “low.”