611.211 New Starts Before and After study.§ 611.211 New Starts Before and After study.
(a) During engineering, project sponsors shall submit to FTA a plan for collection and analysis of information to identify the characteristics, costs, and impacts of the New Starts project and the accuracy of the forecasts prepared during development of the project.
(1) The Before and After study plan shall consider:
(i) Characteristics including the physical scope of the project, the service provided by the project, any other changes in service provided by the transit system, and the schedule of transit fares;
(ii) Costs including the capital costs of the project and the operating and maintenance costs of the transit system in appropriate detail; and
(iii) Impacts including changes in transit service quality, ridership, and fare levels.
(2) The plan shall provide for:
(i) Documentation and preservation of the predicted scope, service levels, capital costs, operating costs, and ridership of the project;
(ii) Collection of “before” data on the transit service levels and ridership patterns of the current transit system including origins and destinations, access modes, trip purposes, and rider characteristics;
(iii) Documentation of the actual capital costs of the as-built project;
(iv) Collection of “after” data two years after opening of the project, including the analogous information on transit service levels and ridership patterns, plus information on operating costs of the transit system in appropriate detail;
(v) Analysis of the costs and impacts of the project; and
(vi) Analysis of the consistency of the predicted and actual characteristics, costs, and impacts of the project and identification of the sources of any differences.
(vii) Preparation of a final report within three years of project opening to present the actual characteristics, costs, and impacts of the project and an assessment of the accuracy of the predictions of these outcomes.
(3) For funding purposes, preparation of the plan for collection and analysis of data is an eligible part of the proposed project.
(b) The FFGA will require implementation of the plan prepared in accordance with paragraph (a) of this section.
(1) Satisfactory progress on implementation of the plan required under paragraph (a) of this section shall be a prerequisite to approval of an FFGA.
(2) For funding purposes, collection of the “before” data, collection of the “after” data, and the development and reporting of findings are eligible parts of the proposed project.
(3) FTA may condition receipt of funding provided for the project in the FFGA upon satisfactory submission of the report required under this section.