512.8 What supporting information should I submit with my request§ 512.8 What supporting information should I submit with my request?
When requesting confidentiality, the submitter shall:
(a) Describe the information for which confidentiality is being requested;
(b) Identify the confidentiality standard(s) under which the confidentiality request should be evaluated, in accordance with § 512.15;
(c) Justify the basis for the claim of confidentiality under the confidentiality standard(s) identified pursuant to paragraph (b) of this section by describing:
(1) Why the information qualifies as a trade secret, if the basis for confidentiality is that the information is a trade secret;
(2) What the harmful effects of disclosure would be and why the effects should be viewed as substantial, if the claim for confidentiality is based upon substantial competitive harm;
(3) What significant NHTSA interests will be impaired by disclosure of the information and why disclosure is likely to impair such interests, if the claim for confidentiality is based upon impairment to government interests;
(4) What measures have been taken by the submitter to ensure that the information is not customarily disclosed or otherwise made available to the public, if the basis for confidentiality is that the information is voluntarily submitted; and
(5) The information is otherwise entitled to protection, pursuant to 5 U.S.C. 552(b).
(d) Indicate if any items of information fall within any of the class determinations included in appendix B to this Part;
(e) Indicate the time period during which confidential treatment is sought; and
(f) State the name, address, and telephone number of the person to whom NHTSA's response and any inquiries should be directed.