395.24 Driver responsibilities - In general.§ 395.24 Driver responsibilities - In general.
(a) In general. A driver must provide the information the ELD requires as prompted by the ELD and required by the motor carrier.
(b) Driver's duty status. A driver must input the driver's duty status by selecting among the following categories available on the ELD:
(1) “Off duty” or “OFF” or “1”;
(2) “Sleeper berth” or “SB” or “2”, to be used only if sleeper berth is used;
(3) “Driving” or “D” or “3”; or
(4) “On-duty not driving” or “ON” or “4”.
(c) Miscellaneous data. (1) A driver must manually input the following information in the ELD:
(i) Annotations, when applicable;
(ii) Driver's location description, when prompted by the ELD; and
(iii) Output file comment, when directed by an authorized safety officer.
(2) A driver must manually input or verify the following information on the ELD:
(i) Commercial motor vehicle power unit number;
(ii) Trailer number(s), if applicable; and
(iii) Shipping document number, if applicable.
(d) Driver use of ELD. On request by an authorized safety official, a driver must produce and transfer from an ELD the driver's hours-of-service records in accordance with the instruction sheet provided by the motor carrier.