381.505 What are the minimum elements required for a pilot program§ 381.505 What are the minimum elements required for a pilot program?
(a) Safety measures. Before granting exemptions for a pilot program, the FMCSA will ensure that the safety measures in a pilot program are designed to achieve a level of safety that is equivalent to, or greater than, the level of safety that would be achieved by complying with the regulations.
(b) Pilot program plan. Before initiating a pilot program, the FMCSA will ensure that there is a pilot program plan which includes the following elements:
(1) A scheduled duration of three years or less;
(2) A specific data collection and safety analysis plan that identifies a method of comparing the safety performance for motor carriers, CMVs, and drivers operating under the terms and conditions of the pilot program, with the safety performance of motor carriers, CMVs, and drivers that comply with the regulation;
(3) A reasonable number of participants necessary to yield statistically valid findings;
(4) A monitoring plan to ensure that participants comply with the terms and conditions of participation in the pilot program;
(5) Adequate safeguards to protect the health and safety of study participants and the general public; and
(6) A plan to inform the States and the public about the pilot program and to identify approved participants to enforcement personnel and the general public.