299.705 Standard procedures for safely performing inspection, testing, and maintenance, or repairs.§ 299.705 Standard procedures for safely performing inspection, testing, and maintenance, or repairs.
(a) The railroad shall establish written standard procedures for performing all safety-critical or potentially hazardous inspection, testing, maintenance, and repair tasks. These standard procedures shall -
(1) Describe in detail each step required to safely perform the task;
(2) Describe the knowledge necessary to safely perform the task;
(3) Describe any precautions that shall be taken to safely perform the task;
(4) Describe the use of any safety equipment necessary to perform the task;
(5) Be approved by the railroad's official responsible for safety;
(6) Be enforced by the railroad's supervisors responsible for accomplishing the tasks; and
(7) Be reviewed annually by the railroad. The railroad shall provide written notice to FRA in accordance with § 299.9 at least one month prior to the annual review. If the Associate Administrator or their designee indicates a desire to be present, the railroad shall provide a scheduled date and location for the annual review. If the Associate Administrator requests the annual review be performed on another date but the railroad and the Associate Administrator are unable to agree on a date for rescheduling, the annual review may be performed as scheduled.
(b) The inspection, testing, and maintenance program required by this section is not intended to address and should not include procedures to address employee working conditions that arise in the course of conducting the inspections, tests, and maintenance set forth in the program. When reviewing the railroad's program, FRA does not intend to review or approve any portion of the program that relates to employee working conditions.