238.3 Applicability.§ 238.3 Applicability.
(a) Except as provided in paragraph (c) of this section, this part applies to all:
(1) Railroads that operate intercity or commuter passenger train service on standard gage track which is part of the general railroad system of transportation; and
(2) Railroads that provide commuter or other short-haul rail passenger train service in a metropolitan or suburban area as described by 49 U.S.C. 20102(1), including public authorities operating passenger train service.
(b) Railroads that permit to be used or hauled on their lines passenger equipment subject to this part, in violation of a power brake provision of this part or a safety appliance provision of this part, are subject to the power brake and safety appliance provisions of this part with respect to such operations.
(c) This part does not apply to:
(1) Rapid transit operations in an urban area that are not connected to the general railroad system of transportation;
(2) A railroad that operates only on track inside an installation that is not part of the general railroad system of transportation;
(3) Tourist, scenic, historic, or excursion operations, whether on or off the general railroad system of transportation; or
(4) Circus trains.