228.331 First aid and life safety.§ 228.331 First aid and life safety.
(a) An adequate first aid kit must be maintained and made available for occupants of a camp car for the emergency treatment of an injured person.
(b) The contents of the first aid kit shall be placed in a weatherproof container with individual sealed packages for each type of item, and shall be checked at least weekly when the camp car is occupied to ensure that the expended items are replaced. The first aid kit shall contain, at a minimum, the following:
(1) Two small gauze pads (at least 4 × 4 inches);
(2) Two large gauze pads (at least 8 × 10 inches);
(3) Two adhesive bandages;
(4) Two triangular bandages;
(5) One package of gauge roller bandage that is at least 2 inches wide;
(6) Wound cleaning agent, such as sealed moistened towelettes;
(7) One pair of scissors;
(8) One set of tweezers;
(9) One roll of adhesive tape;
(10) Two pairs of latex gloves; and
(11) One resuscitation mask.
(c) Each sleeping room shall be equipped with the following:
(1) A functional portable Type ABC fire extinguisher; and
(2) Either a functional smoke alarm and a carbon monoxide alarm, or a functional combined smoke-carbon-monoxide alarm.
(d) Each camp car consist shall have an emergency preparedness plan prominently displayed so all occupants of the camp car consist can view it at their convenience. The plan shall address the following subjects for each location where the camp car consist is used to house railroad employees or MOW workers:
(1) The means used to be aware of and notify all occupants of impending weather threats, including thunderstorms, tornados, hurricanes, floods, and other major weather-related risks;
(2) Shelter-in-place and emergency and evacuation instructions for each of the specific threats identified; and
(3) The address and telephone number of the nearest emergency medical facility and directions on how to get there from the camp car consist.