440.347 Essential health benefits.§ 440.347 Essential health benefits.
(a) Alternative Benefit Plans must contain essential health benefits coverage, including benefits in each of the following ten categories, consistent with the applicable requirements set forth in 45 CFR part 156:
(1) Ambulatory patient services;
(2) Emergency services;
(4) Maternity and newborn care;
(5) Mental health and substance use disorders, including behavioral health treatment;
(6) Prescription drugs;
(7) Rehabilitative and habilitative services and devices, except that such coverage shall be in accordance with § 440.347(d);
(8) Laboratory services;
(9) Preventive and wellness services and chronic disease management; and
(10) Pediatric services, including oral and vision care, in accordance with section 1905(r) of the Act.
(b) Alternative Benefit Plans must include essential health benefits in one of the state options for establishing essential health benefits described in 45 CFR 156.100, subject to supplementation under 45 CFR 156.110(b) and substitution as permitted under 45 CFR 156.115(b).
(c) States may select more than one base benchmark option for establishing essential health benefits in keeping with the flexibility for States to implement more than one Alternative Benefit Plan for targeted populations.
(d) To comply with paragraph (a) of this section, Alternative Benefit Plan coverage of habilitative services and devices will be based on the habilitative services and devices that are in the applicable base benchmark plan. If habilitative services and devices are not in the applicable base benchmark plan, the state will define habilitative services and devices required as essential health benefits using the methodology set forth in 45 CFR 156.115(a)(5).
(e) Essential health benefits cannot be based on a benefit design or implementation of a benefit design that discriminates based on an individual's age, expected length of life, present or predicted disability, degree of medical dependency, quality of life or other health conditions.[78 FR 42307, July 15, 2013]