148.1 Purpose, scope and applicability.§ 148.1 Purpose, scope and applicability.
(a) This part identifies wastes that are restricted from disposal into Class I wells and defines those circumstances under which a waste, otherwise prohibited from injection, may be injected.
(b) The requirements of this part apply to owners or operators of Class I hazardous waste injection wells used to inject hazardous waste.
(c) Wastes otherwise prohibited from injection may continue to be injected:
(1) If an extension from the effective date of a prohibition has been granted pursuant to § 148.4 with respect to such wastes; or
(2) If an exemption from a prohibition has been granted in response to a petition filed under § 148.20 to allow injection of restricted wastes with respect to those wastes and wells covered by the exemption; or
(3) If the waste is generated by a conditionally exempt small quantity generator, as defined in § 261.5; or
(d) Wastes that are hazardous only because they exhibit a hazardous characteristic, and which are otherwise prohibited under this part, or part 268 of this chapter, are not prohibited if the wastes:
(1) Are disposed into a nonhazardous or hazardous injection well as defined under 40 CFR § 146.6(a); and
(2) Do not exhibit any prohibited characteristic of hazardous waste identified in 40 CFR part 261, subpart C at the point of injection.[53 FR 28154, July 26, 1988, as amended at 55 FR 22683, June 1, 1990; 57 FR 8088, Mar. 6, 1992; 57 FR 31763, July 20, 1992; 60 FR 33932, June 29, 1995; 61 FR 15596, Apr. 8, 1996; 61 FR 33682, June 28, 1996]