143.11 Definitions.§ 143.11 Definitions.
The following definitions apply to this subpart:
Accredited third party certification body means those bodies that are accredited by the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) to provide product certification to meet the lead free requirements of not more than a weighted average of 0.25 percent lead content when used with respect to the wetted surfaces, consistent with section 1417 of the Safe Drinking Water Act and § 143.12, such as certification to the NSF/ANSI 372 standard.
Administrator means the Administrator of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency or his or her authorized representative.
Affiliated means a person or entity that directly or indirectly through one or more intermediaries, controls or is controlled by, or is under common control with, the person or entity specified. Affiliated persons or entities include but are not limited to: A parent company and all wholly or partially owned subsidiaries of a parent company, or two or more corporations or family partnerships that have overlap in ownership or control.
Alloy means a substance composed of two or more metals or of a metal and a nonmetal.
Coating means a thin layer of material such as paint, epoxy, zinc galvanization, or other material usually applied by spraying or in liquid form to coat internal surfaces of pipes, fittings, or fixtures.
Custom fabricated product means a product that:
(1) Is manufactured on a case-by-case basis to accommodate the unique needs of a single customer;
(2) Does not have a Universal Product Code (UPC) assigned to the product;
(3) Is not stocked by and is not available through inventory from a manufacturer, importer, wholesaler, distributor, retailer, or other source for distribution; and
(4) Is not cataloged in print or on the internet with a specific item number or code.
Drinking water cooler means any mechanical device, affixed to drinking water supply plumbing, which actively cools water for human consumption.
Fitting means a pipe fitting or plumbing fitting.
Fixture means a receptacle or device that is connected to a water supply system or discharges to a drainage system or both. Fixtures used for potable uses shall include but are not limited to:
(1) Drinking water coolers, drinking water fountains, drinking water bottle fillers, dishwashers;
(2) Plumbed in devices, such as point-of-use treatment devices, coffee makers, and refrigerator ice and water dispensers; and
(3) Water heaters, water meters, water pumps, and water tanks, unless such fixtures are not used for potable uses.
Flux means a substance used for helping to melt or join metals such as by removal of oxides and other coatings or residues from the metals before joining by using solder or other means.
Importer means any person who introduces into commerce any pipe, any pipe or plumbing fitting or fixture, or any solder or flux entering the United States; or any “importer” as defined in 19 CFR 101.1; or both.
Introduce into commerce or introduction into commerce means the sale or distribution of products or offering products for sale or distribution in the United States.
Liner means a rigid lining such as a plastic or copper sleeve that is:
(1) Sealed with a permanent barrier to exclude lead-bearing surfaces from water contact; and
(2) Of sufficient thickness and otherwise having physical properties necessary to prevent erosion and cracking for the expected useful life of the product.
Manufacturer means a person or entity who:
(1) Processes or makes a product; or
(2) Has products processed or made under a contractual arrangement for distribution, using the person's or entity's brand name or trademark.
Nonpotable services means all product uses and applications that are not potable uses.
Person means an individual; corporation; company; association; partnership; municipality; or State, federal, or Tribal agency (including officers, employees, and agents of any corporation, company, association, municipality, State, Tribal, or federal agency).
Pipe means a conduit, conductor, tubing, or hose and may also include permanently attached end fittings.
Pipe fitting means any piece (such as a coupling, elbow, or gasket) used for connecting pipe lengths together or to connect other plumbing pieces together or to change direction.
Plumbing fitting means a plumbing component that controls the volume and/or directional flow of water, such as kitchen faucets, bathroom lavatory faucets, manifolds, and valves.
Point-of-use treatment device means point-of-use treatment device as defined in § 141.2 of this chapter.
Potable uses, for purposes only of this subpart, means services or applications that provide water for human ingestion, such as for drinking, cooking, food preparation, dishwashing, teeth brushing, or maintaining oral hygiene.
Product means a pipe, fitting, or fixture.
Public water system means a public water system as defined in § 141.2 of this chapter.
Solder means a type of metal that is used to join metal parts such as sections of pipe, without melting the existing metal in the parts to be joined. Solder is usually sold or distributed in the form of wire rolls or bars.
State means state as defined in § 142.2 of this chapter.
United States includes its commonwealths, districts, States, Tribes, and Territories.
Water distribution main means a pipe, typically found under or adjacent to a roadway, that supplies water to buildings via service lines.