51.2 Authority.§ 51.2 Authority.
(a) The Secretary of Homeland Security has the authority to establish a Discharge Review Board (DRB) to review the discharge of a former member of the United States Coast Guard under the provisions of 10 U.S.C. 1553. This part prescribes the establishment and outlines the procedures of the Coast Guard Discharge Review Board. The Secretary retains the authority to review and take final action on the DRB's findings in the following cases:
(1) Those cases in which a minority of the board requests that their written opinion be forwarded to the Secretary for consideration;
(2) Those cases selected by the Commandant to inform the Secretary of aspects of the board's functions which may be of interest to the Secretary;
(3) Any case in which the Secretary demonstrates an interest;
(4) Any case which the President of the board believes is of significant interest to the Secretary.
(b) The Commandant of the Coast Guard is delegated the authority to:
(1) Appoint members to serve on the Discharge Review Board;
(2) Appoint alternates to serve on the DRB in the event that a regularly appointed member is unavailable;
(3) Designate a member as the President of the DRB; and
(4) Review and take final action on all DRB decisions which are not reviewed by the Secretary.[CGD 81-104, 50 FR 41495, Oct. 11, 1985, as amended by CGD 97-023, 62 FR 33362, June 19, 1997; USCG-2003-14505, 68 FR 9535, Feb. 28, 2003]