105.275 Security measures for monitoring.§ 105.275 Security measures for monitoring.
(a) General. The facility owner or operator must ensure the implementation of security measures in this section and have the capability to continuously monitor, through a combination of lighting, security guards, waterborne patrols, automatic intrusion-detection devices, or surveillance equipment, as specified in the approved Facility Security Plan (FSP), the:
(1) Facility and its approaches, on land and water;
(2) Restricted areas within the facility; and
(3) Vessels at the facility and areas surrounding the vessels.
(b) MARSEC Level 1. At MARSEC Level 1, the facility owner or operator must ensure the security measures in this section are implemented at all times, including the period from sunset to sunrise and periods of limited visibility. For each facility, ensure monitoring capability that:
(1) When automatic intrusion-detection devices are used, activates an audible or visual alarm, or both, at a location that is continuously attended or monitored;
(2) Is able to function continually, including consideration of the possible effects of weather or of a power disruption;
(3) Monitors the facility area, including shore and waterside access to it;
(4) Monitors access points, barriers and restricted areas;
(5) Monitors access and movements adjacent to vessels using the facility, including augmentation of lighting provided by the vessel itself; and
(6) Limits lighting effects, such as glare, and their impact on safety, navigation, and other security activities.
(c) MARSEC Level 2. In addition to the security measures for MARSEC Level 1 in this section, at MARSEC Level 2, the facility owner or operator must also ensure the implementation of additional security measures, as specified for MARSEC Level 2 in the approved FSP. These additional measures may include:
(1) Increasing the coverage and intensity of surveillance equipment, including the provision of additional surveillance coverage;
(2) Increasing the frequency of foot, vehicle or waterborne patrols;
(3) Assigning additional security personnel to monitor and patrol; or
(4) Increasing the coverage and intensity of lighting, including the provision of additional lighting and coverage.
(d) MARSEC Level 3. In addition to the security measures for MARSEC Level 1 and MARSEC Level 2, at MARSEC Level 3, the facility owner or operator must also ensure implementation of additional security measures, as specified for MARSEC Level 3 in the approved FSP. These additional security measures may include:
(1) Switching on all lighting within, or illuminating the vicinity of, the facility;
(2) Switching on all surveillance equipment capable of recording activities within or adjacent to the facility;
(3) Maximizing the length of time such surveillance equipment can continue to record; or
(4) Complying with the instructions issued by those responding to the security incident.[USCG-2003-14732, 68 FR 39322, July 1, 2003, as amended at 68 FR 60542, Oct. 22, 2003]