51.2752 U.S. No. 1 Virginia.§ 51.2752 U.S. No. 1 Virginia.
“U.S. No. 1 Virginia” consists of shelled Virginia type peanut kernels of similar varietal characteristics which are whole and free from foreign material, damage and minor defects, and which will not pass through a screen having 15/64 × 1 inch openings. Unless otherwise specified, the peanuts in any lot shall average not more than 864 per pound.
(a) In order to allow for variations incident to proper grading and handling, the following tolerances by weight, shall be permitted:
(1) 1 percent for other varieties of peanuts;
(2) 3 percent for sound peanuts which are split or broken;
(3) 1.25 percent for damaged or unshelled peanuts;
(4) 0.75 percent for minor defects: Provided, That in addition, any unused part of the tolerance for damaged or unshelled peanuts shall be allowed for minor defects;
(5) 0.1 percent for foreign material; and,
(6) 3 percent for sound, whole peanuts which will pass through the prescribed screen.[24 FR 6671, Aug. 18, 1959. Redesignated at 42 FR 32514, June 27, 1977, and further redesignated at 46 FR 63203, Dec. 31, 1981]