330.402 Garbage generated in Hawaii.§ 330.402 Garbage generated in Hawaii.
(a) Applicability. This section applies to garbage generated in households, commercial establishments, institutions, and businesses prior to interstate movement from Hawaii, and includes used paper, discarded cans and bottles, and food scraps. Such garbage includes, and is commonly known as, municipal solid waste.
(1) Industrial process wastes, mining wastes, sewage sludge, incinerator ash, or other wastes from Hawaii that the Administrator determines do not pose risks of introducing animal or plant pests or diseases into the continental United States are not regulated under this section.
(2) The interstate movement from Hawaii to the continental United States of agricultural wastes and yard waste (other than incidental amounts (less than 3 percent) that may be present in municipal solid waste despite reasonable efforts to maintain source separation) is prohibited.
(3) Garbage generated onboard any means of conveyance during interstate movement from Hawaii is regulated under § 330.401.
(b) Restrictions on interstate movement of garbage. The interstate movement of garbage generated in Hawaii to the continental United States is regulated as provided in this section.
(1) The garbage must be processed, packaged, safeguarded, and disposed of using a methodology that the Administrator has determined is adequate to prevent the introduction or dissemination of plant pests into noninfested areas of the United States.
(2) The garbage must be moved under a compliance agreement in accordance with § 330.403. APHIS will only enter into a compliance agreement when the Administrator is satisfied that the Agency has first satisfied all its obligations under the National Environmental Policy Act and all applicable Federal and State statutes to fully assess the impacts associated with the movement of garbage under the compliance agreement.
(3) All such garbage moved interstate from Hawaii to any of the continental United States must be moved in compliance with all applicable laws for environmental protection.