1410.11 Farmable Wetlands Program.§ 1410.11 Farmable Wetlands Program.
(a) In addition to other allowable enrollments, eligible land may be enrolled in the CRP through the Farmable Wetlands Program (FWP).
(b) Eligible owners and operators may enroll land in FWP provided that the land:
(1) Is a wetland, including a converted wetland, that has been planted or considered planted to an agricultural commodity during at least 3 of the immediately preceding 10 crop years and that does not exceed the size limitations specified in paragraph (d) of this section;
(2) Is enrolled to be a constructed wetland that is to be developed so as to receive surface and subsurface flow from row crop agricultural production and is designed to provide nitrogen removal in addition to other wetland functions and that does not exceed the size limitations specified in paragraph (d) of this section;
(3) Was a commercial pond-raised aquaculture facility in any year during the period of calendar years 2002 through 2007; or
(4) Was cropped, after January 1, 1990, and before December 31, 2002, at least 3 of 10 crop years, was subject to the natural overflow of a prairie wetland, and does not exceed the size limitations specified in paragraph (d) of this section.
(c) In addition, land may be enrolled through FWP if the land is buffer acreage that provides protection for and is contiguous to land otherwise eligible under paragraph (b) of this section, subject to the provisions of paragraph (d) of this section.
(d) Total enrollment in CRP under this section may not exceed 750,000 acres. In addition, the maximum size of land enrolled under this section may not exceed:
(1) 40 contiguous acres per tract, for land made eligible by paragraph (b)(1) of this section;
(2) 40 contiguous acres per tract, for land made eligible by paragraph (b)(2) of this section;
(3) 20 contiguous acres for land made eligible by paragraph (b)(4) of this section, not to exceed 40 acres per tract; or
(4) A suitable buffer for lands added under paragraph (c) of this section.
(e) All participants subject to a CRP contract under this section must agree to establish and maintain, as appropriate, the practice described in paragraph (b) of this section in accordance with FOTG including, as appropriate, restoring the hydrology of the wetland and establishing vegetative cover (which may include emerging vegetation in water and bottomland hardwoods, cypress, and other appropriate tree species in shallow water areas).
(f) Offers for contracts under this section must be submitted under continuous signup provisions as specified in § 1410.30(b).
(g) The annual rental payment for land enrolled under this section will be determined in accordance with the provisions of § 1410.42 for cropland. In addition, any incentive payments in the form of annual rental payments provided for enrolling filter strips under this part will also be provided to participants who enroll land under this section, provided the participant has a share of the annual rental payment greater than zero.