29.119 What additional operating standards apply to drilling and production operations§ 29.119 What additional operating standards apply to drilling and production operations?
If you conduct drilling and production operations, you must meet all of the following standards:
(a) To conduct drilling operations, you must:
(1) Use containerized mud circulation systems for operations;
(2) Not create or use earthen pits;
(3) Take all necessary precautions to keep your wells under control at all times, using only employees, contractors, or subcontractors trained and competent in well control procedures and equipment operation, and using industry-accepted well control equipment and practices; and
(4) Design, implement, and maintain integrated casing, cementing, drilling fluid, completion, stimulation, and blowout prevention programs to prevent escape of fluids to the surface and to isolate and protect usable water zones throughout the life of the well, taking into account all relevant geologic and engineering factors.
(b) To conduct production operations, in addition to meeting the standards of paragraphs (a)(1) through (a)(4) of this section, you must do all of the following:
(1) Monitor producing conditions for early indications that could lead to loss of mechanical integrity of producing equipment.
(2) Maintain all surface equipment and the wellhead to prevent leaks or releases of any fluids or air pollutants.
(3) Identify wells and related facilities with appropriate signage. Signs must remain in place until the well is plugged and abandoned and the related facilities are removed. Signs must be of durable construction, and the lettering must be legible and large enough to be read under normal conditions at a distance of at least 50 feet. Each sign must show the name of the well, name of the operator, and the emergency contact phone number.
(4) Remove all equipment and materials when not needed for the current phase of your operation.
(5) Plug all wells, leaving the surface in a clean and safe condition that will not impede surface reclamation or pose a hazard to wildlife or human health and safety, in accordance with § 29.117.