591.223 When does OPM conduct COLA surveys§ 591.223 When does OPM conduct COLA surveys?
(a) OPM conducts a survey in each COLA area once every 3 years on a rotational basis and surveys the Washington, DC, area concurrently with each COLA area survey. The order of the COLA area surveys is as follows:
(1) Year 1. All COLA areas in the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
(2) Year 2. All COLA areas in the State of Alaska, except as provided in paragraph (b)(2) of this section.
(3) Year 3. All COLA areas in the State of Hawaii and the Territory of Guam and CNMI.
(1) Nothing in this subpart precludes OPM from conducting interim surveys or implementing some other change in response to conditions caused by a natural disaster or similar emergency, provided OPM publishes a notice or rule in the Federal Register explaining the change and the reason(s) for it.
(2) As provided in § 591.215(c), OPM does not conduct surveys in the Rest of the State of Alaska COLA area unless COLA rate reductions appear warranted.