801.21 Initial determination.§ 801.21 Initial determination.
(a) The NTSB FOIA Officer will make an initial determination as to whether to comply with the request within 20 days (excluding Saturdays, Sundays, and legal public holidays) after the request is received.
(b) Upon the FOIA Office's receipt of a FOIA request, the time limit is tolled while the FOIA Office seeks reasonable information from the requester:
(1) About the scope of the request, such as whether docket items and other publicly available information on the NTSB website satisfy the request; and
(2) Necessary to resolve fee assessment issues.
(c) If unusual circumstances exist, this time limit may be extended up to 10 additional days (excluding Saturdays, Sundays, and legal public holidays) in accordance with § 801.23. The requester will be notified immediately of an extension in accordance with § 801.23. If a determination is made to release the requested record(s), such record(s) will be made available promptly.
(d) If the FOIA Officer determines not to release the record(s), the FOIA Office will notify the requester of:
(1) The reason for the determination;
(2) The right to appeal the determination to the Managing Director within 90 calendar days;
(3) The name and title or positions of each person responsible for the denial of the request;
(4) The right to seek dispute resolution services from the NTSB's FOIA Public Liaison or OGIS.