393.134 What are the rules for securing roll-on/roll-off or hook lift containers§ 393.134 What are the rules for securing roll-on/roll-off or hook lift containers?
(a) Applicability. The rules in this section apply to the transportation of roll-on/roll-off or hook lift containers.
(b) Securement of a roll-on/roll-off and hook lift container. Each roll-on/roll-off and hook lift container carried on a vehicle which is not equipped with an integral securement system must be:
(1) Blocked against forward movement by the lifting device, stops, a combination of both or other suitable restraint mechanism;
(2) Secured to the front of the vehicle by the lifting device or other suitable restraint against lateral and vertical movement;
(3) Secured to the rear of the vehicle with at least one of the following mechanisms:
(i) One tiedown attached to both the vehicle chassis and the container chassis;
(ii) Two tiedowns installed lengthwise, each securing one side of the container to one of the vehicle's side rails; or
(iii) Two hooks, or an equivalent mechanism, securing both sides of the container to the vehicle chassis at least as effectively as the tiedowns in the two previous items.
(4) The mechanisms used to secure the rear end of a roll-on/roll off or hook lift container must be installed no more than two meters (6 ft 7 in) from the rear of the container.
(5) In the event that one or more of the front stops or lifting devices are missing, damaged or not compatible, additional manually installed tiedowns must be used to secure the container to the vehicle, providing the same level of securement as the missing, damaged or incompatible components.