80.1089 Ship radio equipment - Sea areas A1 and A2.§ 80.1089 Ship radio equipment - Sea areas A1 and A2.
This section contains the additional equipment requirements for ships that remain within sea areas A1 or A2 at all times. Ships fitting in accordance with this section satisfy the sea area A1 requirements denoted in § 80.1087.
(a) In addition to meeting the requirements of § 80.1085, ships engaged on voyages beyond sea area A1, but remaining within sea area A2, must be provided with:
(1) An MF radio installation capable of transmitting and receiving, for distress and safety purposes, on the frequencies:
(i) 2187.5 kHz using DSC; and
(ii) 2182 kHz using radiotelephony;
(2) A radio installation capable of maintaining a continuous DSC watch on the frequency 2187.5 kHz which may be separate from or combined with, that required by paragraph (a)(1)(i) of this section; and
(3) Means of initiating the transmission of ship-to-shore distress alerts by a radio service other than MF operating either:
(i) Through the polar orbiting satellite service on 406.0-406.1 MHz (this requirement may be fulfilled by the EPIRB required by § 80.1085(a)(6), either by installing the EPIRB close to, or by allowing remote activation from, the position from which the ship is normally navigated); or
(ii) On HF using DSC; or
(iii) Through the INMARSAT geostationary satellite service if within INMARSAT coverage; this requirement may be fulfilled by an INMARSAT ship earth station.
(b) It must be possible to initiate transmission of distress alerts by the radio installations specified in paragraphs (a)(1) and (a)(3) of this section from the position from which the ship is normally navigated.
(c) Ships subject to this section must be capable of transmitting and receiving general radiocommunications using radiotelephony or direct-printing telegraphy by either:
(1) A radio installation operating on working frequencies in the bands between 1605-4000 kHz or between 4000-27500 kHz (this requirement may be fulfilled by the addition of this capability to the equipment required by paragraph (a)(1) of this section); or
(2) An INMARSAT ship earth station.[57 FR 9065, Mar. 16, 1992, as amended at 68 FR 46977, Aug. 7, 2003; 69 FR 64680, Nov. 8, 2004; 73 FR 4490, Jan. 25, 2008; 76 FR 67617, Nov. 2, 2011]