95.16-10 Piping, fittings, valves, nozzles.§ 95.16-10 Piping, fittings, valves, nozzles.
(a) Piping, fittings, and valves must be:
(1) In accordance with the manufacturer's approved design, installation, operation, and maintenance manual;
(2) Securely supported and when necessary protected against damage;
(3) Protected inside and out against corrosion; and
(4) Equipped with:
(i) Dead end lines (dirt traps) that extend at least 2 inches beyond the last nozzle of each distribution line and that are closed with a cap or plug; and
(ii) Drains and dirt traps, fitted where necessary to prevent dirt or moisture accumulation and located in accessible locations where possible.
(b) Piping requirements. Piping must be:
(1) Used exclusively for extinguishing system purposes;
(2) Protected by a pressure relief valve in sections where gas pressure can be trapped between closed valves; and
(3) Welded if it passes through living quarters.
(c) Piping prohibitions. Piping must not:
(1) Use rolled groove or cut groove ends; or
(2) Be fitted with drains or other openings if it passes through living quarters.
(d) Valve requirements. Valves for system operation must be:
(1) Outside the protected space, and
(2) Marked, if serving a branch line, to indicate the space the branch line serves.
(e) Valve prohibitions. Valves may not be located in any space that could be cut off from the operator in the event of fire in the protected space.