32.53-1 Application - T/ALL.§ 32.53-1 Application - T/ALL.
(a) Except as provided in paragraphs (b) and (c) of this section, this subpart applies to:
(1) A U.S. crude oil tanker or product carrier of 100,000 DWT tons (metric) or more or combination carrier of 50,000 DWT tons (metric) or more, that has a keel laying date on or after January 1, 1975.
(2) A new (as defined in 46 U.S.C. 3701) crude oil tanker or product carrier, or foreign flag crude oil tanker or product carrier of 20,000 DWT tons or more entering the navigable waters of the U.S.
(3) A crude oil tanker that is equipped with a cargo tank cleaning system that uses crude oil washing.
(4) An existing product carrier of 20,000 deadweight tons (metric) or more that has tank washing machines with a capacity of more than 60 cubic meters per hour after May 31, 1983.
(5) Any other U.S. or foreign flag:
(i) Crude oil tanker or product carrier of 70,000 deadweight tons (metric) and over after May 31, 1981;
(ii) Crude oil tanker between 20,000 and 70,000 deadweight tons (metric) after May 31, 1983;
(iii) Product carrier between 40,000 and 70,000 deadweight tons (metric) after May 31, 1983.
(b) This subpart does not apply to vessels designed to carry only:
(1) Liquefied gas cargo; or
(2) Grade E cargo that is carried at a temperature lower than 5 °C below its flash point.
(c) This part does not apply to vessels as stated in 46 U.S.C. 3702.[CGD 77-057a, 44 FR 66501, Nov. 19, 1979, as amended by CGD 97-057, 62 FR 51043, Sept. 30, 1997; CGD 95-028, 62 FR 51198, Sept. 30, 1997]