1329.2 Purpose.§ 1329.2 Purpose.
The purpose of title VII of the Act is to promote a philosophy of independent living (IL), including a philosophy of consumer control, peer support, self-help, self-determination, equal access, and individual and system advocacy, in order to maximize the leadership, empowerment, independence, and productivity of individuals with disabilities, and to promote the integration and full inclusion of individuals with disabilities into the mainstream of American society by:
(a) Providing financial assistance to States for providing, expanding, and improving the provision of IL services;
(b) Providing financial assistance to develop and support statewide networks of Centers for Independent Living (Centers or CILs);
(c) Providing financial assistance to States, with the goal of improving the independence of individuals with disabilities, for improving working relationships among -
(1) State Independent Living Services;
(2) Centers for Independent Living;
(3) Statewide Independent Living Councils (SILCs or Councils) established under section 705 of the Act (29 U.S.C. 796d);
(4) State vocational rehabilitation (VR) programs receiving assistance under Title 1 of the Act (29 U.S.C. 720 et seq.);
(5) State programs of supported employment services receiving assistance under Title VI of the Act (29 U.S.C. 795g et seq.);
(6) Client assistance programs (CAPs) receiving assistance under section 112 of the Act (29 U.S.C. 732);
(7) Programs funded under other titles of the Act;
(8) Programs funded under other Federal laws; and
(9) Programs funded through non-Federal sources with the goal of improving the independence of individuals with disabilities.