3832.11 How do I locate mining claims or sites§ 3832.11 How do I locate mining claims or sites?
(a) You must follow both state and Federal law.
(b) Your lode or placer claim is not valid until you make a discovery within the boundaries of the claim.
(c) To locate a claim or site, you must -
(1) Make certain that the land on which you are locating the claim or site is Federal land that is open to mineral entry
(2) Stake and monument the corners of a mining claim or site which meets applicable state monumenting requirements and the size limitations described in § 3832.22 for lode and placer claims, § 3832.32 for mill sites, and § 3832.42 for tunnel sites;
(3) Post the notice of location in a conspicuous place on the claim or site. The notice must include:
(i) The name or names of the locators;
(ii) The date of the location; and
(iii) A description of the claim or site;
(iv) The name or number of the claim or site, or both, if the claim or site has both;
(4) Record the notice or certificate of location in the local recording office and the BLM State Office with jurisdiction according to the procedures in part 3833;
(5) Follow all other relevant state law requirements; and
(6) Comply with the specific requirements for lode claims, placer claims, mill sites, or tunnel sites in this part.