3283.2 When may the unit operator revise the unit contraction provision of a unit agreement§ 3283.2 When may the unit operator revise the unit contraction provision of a unit agreement?
(a) The unit operator may submit to BLM a request to revise the unit contraction provision of a unit agreement, if the unit operator has either:
(1) Commenced commercial operations of unitized resources; or
(2) Completed a unit well that produces or utilizes geothermal resources in commercial quantities.
(b) The request may propose an extension of the unit contraction date and/or a partial contraction of the unit area, and must include the following information:
(1) The period for which the revision is requested; and
(2) Whether an extension of the unit contraction date and/or a partial contraction of the unit area is requested.
(c) The request should address the following factors when applicable:
(1) Economic constraints that limit the opportunity to drill and utilize the resource from additional wells;
(2) Reservoir monitoring or injection wells that BLM determines are necessary for unit operations are not located in the participating area;
(3) An inability to drill additional wells is due to circumstances beyond the unit operator's control, and a unit well that has produced or utilized in commercial quantities already is located in the unit;
(4) The types and intensity of unit operations already conducted in the unit area;
(5) The availability of viable electrical or resource sales contracts;
(6) The opportunity to utilize the resource economically; or
(7) Any other information that supports revision of the unit contraction provision.
(d) BLM will consider the factors discussed along with any other information submitted, and will approve the request if we determine that the revision is in the public interest. The approval may be subject to conditions such as requiring an annual renewal, or setting the timing and conditions for when phased contractions or termination of the revision may occur.