3205.6 When may BLM issue a direct use lease to an applicant§ 3205.6 When may BLM issue a direct use lease to an applicant?
(a) BLM may issue a direct use lease to an applicant if the following conditions are satisfied:
(1) The lands included in the lease application are open for geothermal leasing;
(2) BLM determines that the lands are appropriate for exclusive direct use operations, without sale, for purposes other than commercial generation of electricity;
(3) The acreage covered by the lease application is not greater than the quantity of acreage that is reasonably necessary for the proposed use;
(4) BLM has published a notice of the land proposed for a direct use lease for 90 days before issuing the lease;
(5) During the 90-day period beginning on the date of publication, BLM did not receive any nomination to include the lands in the next competitive lease sale following that period for which the lands would be eligible;
(6) BLM determines there is no competitive interest in the resource; and
(7) The applicant is the first qualified applicant.
(b) If BLM determines that the land for which an applicant has applied under this subpart is open for geothermal leasing and is appropriate only for exclusive direct use operations, but determines that there is competitive interest in the resource, it will include the land in a competitive lease sale with lease stipulations limiting operations to exclusive direct use.