2201.7-2 Exchange agreement.§ 2201.7-2 Exchange agreement.
(a) The parties to a proposed exchange may enter into an exchange agreement subsequent to a decision by the authorized officer to approve the exchange, pursuant to § 2201.7-1 of this part. Such an agreement is required if hazardous substances are present on the non-Federal lands. An exchange agreement shall contain the following:
(1) Identification of the parties, a description of the lands and interests to be exchanged, identification of all reserved and outstanding interests, the amount of any necessary cash equalization, and all other terms and conditions necessary to complete the exchange;
(2) The terms regarding responsibility for removal, indemnification (“hold harmless” agreement), or other remedial actions concerning any hazardous substances on the involved non-Federal lands;
(3) A description of the goods and services and their corresponding costs for which the noncomplying party is liable in the event of failure to perform or to comply with the terms of the exchange agreement; and
(4) The agreed upon values of the involved lands.
(b) An exchange agreement, as described in paragraph (a) of this section, is legally binding on all parties, subject to the terms and conditions thereof, provided:
(1) Acceptable title can be conveyed;
(2) No substantial loss or damage occurs to either property from any cause;
(3) No undisclosed hazardous substances are found on the involved Federal or non-Federal lands prior to conveyance;
(4) In the event of a protest, or of an appeal from a protest decision under 43 CFR part 4, a decision to approve an exchange pursuant to § 2201.7-1 is upheld; and
(5) The agreement is not terminated by mutual consent or upon such terms as may be provided in the agreement.
(c) Absent an executed legally binding exchange agreement, any action taken by one or more of the parties, or a failure of one or more of the parties to take any action, prior to consummation of an exchange does not create any legal obligation or right enforceable against or enjoyed by any party.