482.28 Condition of participation: Food and dietetic services.§ 482.28 Condition of participation: Food and dietetic services.
The hospital must have organized dietary services that are directed and staffed by adequate qualified personnel. However, a hospital that has a contract with an outside food management company may be found to meet this Condition of participation if the company has a dietitian who serves the hospital on a full-time, part-time, or consultant basis, and if the company maintains at least the minimum standards specified in this section and provides for constant liaison with the hospital medical staff for recommendations on dietetic policies affecting patient treatment.
(a) Standard: Organization. (1) The hospital must have a full-time employee who -
(i) Serves as director of the food and dietetic service;
(ii) Is responsible for the daily management of the dietary services; and
(iii) Is qualified by experience or training.
(2) There must be a qualified dietitian, full-time, part-time, or on a consultant basis.
(3) There must be administrative and technical personnel competent in their respective duties.
(b) Standard: Diets. Menus must meet the needs of the patients.
(1) Individual patient nutritional needs must be met in accordance with recognized dietary practices.
(2) All patient diets, including therapeutic diets, must be ordered by a practitioner responsible for the care of the patient, or by a qualified dietitian or qualified nutrition professional as authorized by the medical staff and in accordance with State law governing dietitians and nutrition professionals.
(3) A current therapeutic diet manual approved by the dietitian and medical staff must be readily available to all medical, nursing, and food service personnel.[51 FR 22042, June 17, 1986, as amended at 79 FR 27154, May 12, 2014]