460.80 Fiscal soundness.§ 460.80 Fiscal soundness.
(a) Fiscally sound operation. A PACE organization must have a fiscally sound operation, as demonstrated by the following:
(1) Total assets greater than total unsubordinated liabilities.
(2) Sufficient cash flow and adequate liquidity to meet obligations as they become due.
(3) A net operating surplus or a financial plan for maintaining solvency that is satisfactory to CMS and the State administering agency.
(b) Insolvency plan. The organization must have a documented plan in the event of insolvency, approved by CMS and the State administering agency, which provides for the following:
(1) Continuation of benefits for the duration of the period for which capitation payment has been made.
(2) Continuation of benefits to participants who are confined in a hospital on the date of insolvency until their discharge.
(3) Protection of participants from liability for payment of fees that are the legal obligation of the PACE organization.
(c) Arrangements to cover expenses. (1) A PACE organization must demonstrate that it has arrangements to cover expenses in the amount of at least the sum of the following in the event it becomes insolvent:
(i) One month's total capitation revenue to cover expenses the month before insolvency.
(ii) One month's average payment to all contractors, based on the prior quarter's average payment, to cover expenses the month after the date it declares insolvency or ceases operations.
(2) Arrangements to cover expenses may include, but are not limited to, the following:
(i) Insolvency insurance or reinsurance.
(ii) Hold harmless arrangement.
(iii) Letters of credit, guarantees, net worth, restricted State reserves, or State law provisions.