421.306 Awarding of a contract.§ 421.306 Awarding of a contract.
(a) CMS awards and administers Medicare integrity program contracts in accordance with acquisition regulations set forth at 48 CFR chapters 1 and 3, this subpart, all other applicable laws, and all applicable regulations. These requirements for awarding Medicare integrity program contracts are used as follows:
(1) When entering into new contracts.
(2) When entering into contracts that may result in the elimination of responsibilities of an individual fiscal intermediary or carrier under section 1816(l) or section 1842(c) of the Act, respectively.
(3) At any other time CMS considers appropriate.
(b) CMS may award an entity a Medicare integrity program contract by transfer if all of the following conditions apply:
(1) Through approval of a novation agreement in accordance with the requirements of the Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR), CMS recognizes the entity as the successor in interest to a fiscal intermediary agreement or carrier contract under which the fiscal intermediary or carrier was performing activities described in section 1893(b) of the Act on August 21, 1996.
(2) The fiscal intermediary or carrier continued to perform Medicare integrity program activities until transferring the resources to the entity.
(c) An entity is eligible to be awarded a Medicare integrity program contract only if it meets the eligibility requirements specified in § 421.302; 48 CFR chapters 1 and 3; and other applicable laws and regulations.