421.300 Basis, applicability, and scope.§ 421.300 Basis, applicability, and scope.
(a) Basis. This subpart implements section 1893 of the Act, which requires CMS to protect the integrity of the Medicare program by entering into contracts with eligible entities to carry out Medicare integrity program functions. The provisions of this subpart are based on section 1893 of the Act (and, where applicable, section 1874A of the Act) and the acquisition regulations set forth at 48 CFR chapters 1 and 3.
(b) Applicability. This subpart applies to entities that seek to compete or receive award of a contract under section 1893 of the Act, including entities that perform functions under this subpart emanating from the processing of claims for individuals entitled to benefits as qualified railroad retirement beneficiaries.
(c) Scope. The scope of this subpart follows:
(1) Defines the types of entities eligible to become Medicare integrity program contractors.
(2) Identifies the program integrity functions a Medicare integrity program contractor performs.
(3) Describes procedures for awarding and renewing contracts.
(4) Establishes procedures for identifying, evaluating, and resolving organizational conflicts of interest.
(5) Prescribes responsibilities.
(6) Sets forth limitations on contractor liability.