421.112 Considerations relating to the effective and efficient administration of the program.§ 421.112 Considerations relating to the effective and efficient administration of the program.
(a) In order to accomplish the most effective and efficient administration of the Medicare program, the Secretary may make determinations with respect to the termination of an intermediary agreement, and CMS may make determinations with respect to renewal of an intermediary agreement under § 421.110.
(b) When taking the actions specified in paragraph (a) of this section, the Secretary or CMS will consider the performance of the individual intermediary in its Medicare operations using the factors contained in the performance criteria specified in § 421.120 and the performance standards specified in § 421.122.
(c) In addition, when taking the actions listed in paragraph (a) of this section, the Secretary or CMS may consider factors relating to -
(1) Consistency in the administration of program policy;
(2) Development of intermediary expertise in difficult areas of program administration;
(3) Individual capacity of available intermediaries to serve providers as it is affected by such considerations as -
(i) Program emphasis on the number or type of providers to be served; or
(ii) Changes in data processing technology;
(4) Overdependence of the program on the capacity of an intermediary to an extent that services could be interrupted;
(5) Economy in the delivery of intermediary services;
(6) Timeliness in the delivery of intermediary services;
(7) Duplication in the availability of intermediaries;
(8) Conflict of interest between an intermediary and provider; and
(9) Any additional pertinent factors.[45 FR 42179, June 23, 1980, as amended at 59 FR 682, Jan. 6, 1994; 71 FR 68229, Nov. 24, 2006]