92.210 Amending the application and certificate of conformity.§ 92.210 Amending the application and certificate of conformity.
(a) The manufacturer or remanufacturer of locomotives or locomotive engines must notify the Administrator when changes to information required to be described in the application for certification are to be made to a product line covered by a certificate of conformity. This notification must include a request to amend the application or the existing certificate of conformity. Except as provided in paragraph (e) of this section, no manufacturer or remanufacturer shall make said changes or produce said locomotives or engines prior to receiving approval from EPA.
(b) A manufacturer's or remanufacturer's request to amend the application or the existing certificate of conformity shall include the following information:
(1) A full description of the change to be made in production, or of the locomotives or engines to be added;
(2) Engineering evaluations or data showing that the locomotives or engines as modified or added will comply with all applicable emission standards; and
(3) A determination whether the manufacturer's or remanufacturer's original test fleet selection is still appropriate, and if the original test fleet selection is determined not to be appropriate, test fleet selection(s) representing the locomotives or engines changed or added which would have been required if the locomotives or engines had been included in the original application for certification.
(c) The Administrator may require the manufacturer or remanufacturer to perform tests on the locomotive or engine representing the locomotive or engine to be added or changed.
(d) Decision by Administrator. (1) Based on the description of the amendment and data derived from such testing as the Administrator may require or conduct, the Administrator will determine whether the change or addition would still be covered by the certificate of conformity then in effect.
(2) If the Administrator determines that the change or new locomotive(s) or engine(s) meets the requirements of this part and the Act, the appropriate certificate of conformity shall be amended.
(3) If the Administrator determines that the changed or new locomotive(s) or engine(s) does not meet the requirements of this part and the Act, the certificate of conformity will not be amended. The Administrator shall provide a written explanation to the manufacturer or remanufacturer of the decision not to amend the certificate. The manufacturer or remanufacturer may request a hearing on a denial.
(e) A manufacturer or remanufacturer may make changes in or additions to production locomotives or engines concurrently with the notification to the Administrator as required by paragraph (a) of this section, if the manufacturer or remanufacturer complies with the following requirements:
(1) In addition to the information required in paragraph (b) of this section, the manufacturer or remanufacturer must supply supporting documentation, test data, and engineering evaluations as appropriate to demonstrate that all affected locomotives and engines will still meet applicable emission standards.
(2) If, after a review, the Administrator determines additional testing is required, the manufacturer or remanufacturer must provide required test data within 30 days or cease production of the affected locomotives or engines.
(3) If the Administrator determines that the affected locomotives or engines do not meet applicable requirements, the Administrator will notify the manufacturer or remanufacturer to cease production of the affected locomotives or engines and to recall and correct at no expense to the owner all affected locomotives or engines previously produced.
(4) Election to produce locomotives or engines under this paragraph will be deemed to be a consent to recall all locomotives or engines which the Administrator determines do not meet applicable standards and to cause such nonconformity to be remedied at no expense to the owner.[63 FR 18998, Apr. 16, 1998, as amended at 70 FR 40455, July 13, 2005]