89.610 Maintenance instructions, warranties, emission labeling.§ 89.610 Maintenance instructions, warranties, emission labeling.
The provisions of this section are applicable to all nonroad engines imported under the provisions of § 89.605 or § 89.609.
(a) Maintenance instructions. (1) The Independent Commercial Importer (ICI) must furnish to the purchaser, or to the owner of each nonroad engine imported under § 89.605 or § 89.609 of this subpart, written instructions for the maintenance and use of the nonroad engine by the purchaser or owner. Each application for final admission of a nonroad engine is to provide an attestation that such instructions have been or will be (if the ultimate purchaser is unknown) furnished to the purchaser or owner of such nonroad engine at the time of sale or delivery. The ICI must maintain a record of having furnished such instructions.
(2) For each nonroad engine imported under § 89.609, a copy of the maintenance and use instructions is to be maintained in a file containing the records for that nonroad engine.
(3) The maintenance and use instructions are not to contain requirements more restrictive than those set forth in § 89.109 (Maintenance Instructions) and are to be in sufficient detail and clarity that a mechanic of average training and ability can maintain or repair the nonroad engine.
(4) For each nonroad engine imported pursuant to § 89.605 or § 89.609, ICIs must furnish with each nonroad engine a list of the emission control parts, emission-related parts added by the ICI, and the emission control and emission-related parts furnished by the Original Engine Manufacturer (OEM).
(5) The information required in this section to be furnished to the ultimate purchaser or owner is to be copied and maintained in a file containing the records for that nonroad engine prior to submitting each application for final admission pursuant to § 89.605(a) or § 89.609(b).
(b) Warranties. (1) ICIs must submit to the Engine Programs and Compliance Division of EPA sample copies (including revisions) of any warranty documents required by this section prior to importing nonroad engines under this subpart.
(2) ICIs must provide to nonroad engine owners emission warranties identical to those required by sections 207(a) of the Act. The warranty period for each nonroad engine is to commence on the date the nonroad engine is delivered by the ICI to the ultimate purchaser or owner.
(3) ICIs must provide warranty insurance coverage by a prepaid mandatory service insurance policy underwritten by an independent insurance company. The policy is to:
(i) Be subject to the approval of the Administrator if the insurance coverage is less than the required warranty;
(ii) At a minimum, provide coverage for emission-related components installed or modified by the ICI and, to the maximum extent possible, the emission-related components installed by the OEM;
(iii) Be transferable to each successive owner for the periods specified in § 89.104(c); and
(iv) Provide that in the absence of an ICI's facility being reasonably available (that is, within 50 miles) for performance of warranty repairs, the warranty repairs may be performed anywhere.
(4) ICIs must attest in each application for final admission that the warranty requirements have been met, that the mandatory insurance has been paid and is in effect, and that certificates and statements of the warranties have been or will be provided to the owner or ultimate purchaser. A copy of the warranties and evidence that the warranties are paid and in effect is to be maintained in a file containing the records for each nonroad engine prior to submitting each application for final admission pursuant to § 89.605(a) or § 89.609(b).
(c) Emission labeling. (1) For each nonroad engine imported pursuant to § 89.605 or § 89.609, the ICI must affix a permanent legible label which identifies each nonroad engine and also satisfies the following:
(i) The label meets all the requirements of § 89.110 and contains the following statement “This nonroad engine was originally produced in (month and year of original production). It has been imported and modified by (ICI's name, address, and telephone number) to conform to United States emission regulations applicable to the (year) model year.”
(ii) If the nonroad engine is owned by the ICI at the time of importation, the label also states “This nonroad engine is warranted for five years or 3000 hours of operation from the date of purchase, whichever first occurs.”
(iii) If the nonroad engine is not owned by the ICI at the time of importation, the label states “This nonroad engine is warranted for five years or 3000 hours of operation from the date of release to the owner, whichever first occurs.”
(iv) For nonroad engines imported under § 89.609, the label clearly states in bold letters that “This nonroad engine has not been manufactured under a certificate of conformity but conforms to United States emission regulations under a modification/test program.” For all nonroad engines imported pursuant to § 89.605 or § 89.609, the label contains the vacuum hose routing diagram applicable to the nonroad engines.
(2) As part of the application to the Administrator for final admission of each individual nonroad engine under § 89.609, the ICI must maintain a copy of the labels for each nonroad engine in a file containing the records for that nonroad engine prior to submitting each application for final admission. ICIs importing under § 89.605 or § 89.609 must attest to compliance with the preceding labeling requirements of this section in each application for final admission.[59 FR 31335, June 17, 1994. Redesignated and amended at 63 FR 56996, 57021, Oct. 23, 1998]