89.113 Smoke emission standard.§ 89.113 Smoke emission standard.
(a) Exhaust opacity from compression-ignition nonroad engines for which this subpart is applicable must not exceed:
(1) 20 percent during the acceleration mode;
(2) 15 percent during the lugging mode; and
(3) 50 percent during the peaks in either the acceleration or lugging modes.
(b) Opacity levels are to be measured and calculated as set forth in 40 CFR part 86, subpart I. Notwithstanding the provisions of 40 CFR part 86, subpart I, two-cylinder nonroad engines may be tested using an exhaust muffler that is representative of exhaust mufflers used with the engines in use.
(c) The following engines are exempt from the requirements of this section:
(1) Single-cylinder engines;
(2) Propulsion marine diesel engines; and
(3) Constant-speed engines.[59 FR 31335, June 17, 1994. Redesignated and amended at 63 FR 56995, 57003, Oct. 23, 1998]