265.310 Closure and post-closure care.§ 265.310 Closure and post-closure care.
(a) At final closure of the landfill or upon closure of any cell, the owner or operator must cover the landfill or cell with a final cover designed and constructed to:
(1) Provide long-term minimization of migration of liquids through the closed landfill;
(2) Function with minimum maintenance;
(3) Promote drainage and minimize erosion or abrasion of the cover;
(4) Accommodate settling and subsidence so that the cover's integrity is maintained; and
(5) Have a permeability less than or equal to the permeability of any bottom liner system or natural subsoils present.
(b) After final closure, the owner or operator must comply with all post-closure requirements contained in §§ 265.117 through 265.120 including maintenance and monitoring throughout the post-closure care period. The owner or operator must:
(1) Maintain the integrity and effectiveness of the final cover, including making repairs to the cover as necessary to correct the effects of settling, subsidence, erosion, or other events;
(2) Maintain and monitor the leak detection system in accordance with §§ 264.301(c)(3)(iv) and (4) of this chapter and 265.304(b), and comply with all other applicable leak detection system requirements of this part;
(3) Maintain and monitor the ground-water monitoring system and comply with all other applicable requirements of subpart F of this part;
(4) Prevent run-on and run-off from eroding or otherwise damaging the final cover; and
(5) Protect and maintain surveyed benchmarks used in complying with § 265.309.[50 FR 16048, Apr. 23, 1985, as amended at 57 FR 3495, Jan. 29, 1992]