148.12 Waste specific prohibitions - California list wastes.§ 148.12 Waste specific prohibitions - California list wastes.
(a) Effective August 8, 1988, the hazardous wastes listed in 40 CFR 268.32 containing polychlorinated biphenyls at concentrations greater than or equal to 50 ppm or halogenated organic compounds at concentrations greater than or equal to 10,000 mg/kg are prohibited from underground injection.
(b) Effective August 8, 1990, the following hazardous wastes are prohibited from underground injection:
(1) Liquid hazardous wastes, including free liquids associated with any solid or sludge, containing free cyanides at concentrations greater than or equal to 1,000 mg/l;
(2) Liquid hazardous wastes, including free liquids associated with any solid or sludge, containing the following metals (or elements) or compounds of these metals (or elements) at concentrations greater than or equal to those specified below:
(i) Arsenic and/or compounds (as As) 500 mg/l;
(ii) Cadmium and/or compounds (as Cd) 100 mg/l;
(iii) Chromium (VI) and/or compounds (as Cr VI) 500 mg/l;
(iv) Lead and/or compounds (as Pb) 500 mg/l;
(v) Mercury and/or compounds (as Hg) 20 mg/l;
(vi) Nickel and/or compounds (as Ni) 134 mg/l;
(vii) Selenium and/or compounds (as Se) 100 mg/l; and
(viii) Thallium and/or compounds (as Tl) 130 mg/l;
(3) Liquid hazardous waste having a pH less than or equal to two (2.0); and
(4) Hazardous wastes containing halogenated organic compounds in total concentration less than 10,000 mg/kg but greater than or equal to 1,000 mg/kg.
(c) The requirements of paragraphs (a) and (b) of this section do not apply:
(1) If the wastes meet or are treated to meet the applicable standards specified in subpart D of part 268; or
(2) If an exemption from a prohibition has been granted in response to a petition under subpart C of this part; or
(3) During the period of extension of the applicable effective date, if an extension is granted under § 148.4 of this part.[53 FR 30918, Aug. 16, 1988, as amended at 53 FR 41602, Oct. 24, 1988]