144.33 Area permits.§ 144.33 Area permits.
(a) The Director may issue a permit on an area basis, rather than for each well individually, provided that the permit is for injection wells:
(1) Described and identified by location in permit application(s) if they are existing wells, except that the Director may accept a single description of wells with substantially the same characteristics;
(2) Within the same well field, facility site, reservoir, project, or similar unit in the same State;
(3) Operated by a single owner or operator; and
(4) Used to inject other than hazardous waste; and
(5) Other than Class VI wells.
(b) Area permits shall specify:
(1) The area within which underground injections are authorized, and
(2) The requirements for construction, monitoring, reporting, operation, and abandonment, for all wells authorized by the permit.
(c) The area permit may authorize the permittee to construct and operate, convert, or plug and abandon wells within the permit area provided:
(1) The permittee notifies the Director at such time as the permit requires;
(2) The additional well satisfies the criteria in paragraph (a) of this section and meets the requirements specified in the permit under paragraph (b) of this section; and
(3) The cumulative effects of drilling and operation of additional injection wells are considered by the Director during evaluation of the area permit application and are acceptable to the Director.
(d) If the Director determines that any well constructed pursuant to paragraph (c) of this section does not satisfy any of the requirements of paragraphs (c) (1) and (2) of this section the Director may modify the permit under § 144.39, terminate under § 144.40, or take enforcement action. If the Director determines that cumulative effects are unacceptable, the permit may be modified under § 144.39.[48 FR 14189, Apr. 1, 1983, as amended at 75 FR 77288, Dec. 10, 2010]