1042.130 Installation instructions for vessel manufacturers.§ 1042.130 Installation instructions for vessel manufacturers.
(a) If you sell an engine for someone else to install in a vessel, give the engine installer instructions for installing it consistent with the requirements of this part. Include all information necessary to ensure that an engine will be installed in its certified configuration.
(b) Make sure these instructions have the following information:
(1) Include the heading: “Emission-related installation instructions”.
(2) State: “Failing to follow these instructions when installing a certified engine in a vessel violates federal law (40 CFR 1068.105(b)), subject to fines or other penalties as described in the Clean Air Act.”
(3) Describe the instructions needed to properly install the exhaust system and any other components. Include instructions consistent with the requirements of § 1042.205(u).
(4) Describe any necessary steps for installing the diagnostic system described in § 1042.110.
(5) Describe how your certification is limited for any type of application. For example, if your engines are certified only for constant-speed operation, tell vessel manufacturers not to install the engines in variable-speed applications or modify the governor.
(6) Describe any other instructions to make sure the installed engine will operate according to design specifications in your application for certification. This may include, for example, instructions for installing aftertreatment devices when installing the engines.
(7) State: “If you install the engine in a way that makes the engine's emission control information label hard to read during normal engine maintenance, you must place a duplicate label on the vessel, as described in 40 CFR 1068.105.”
(8) Describe any vessel labeling requirements specified in § 1042.135.
(c) You do not need installation instructions for engines you install in your own vessels.
(d) Provide instructions in writing or in an equivalent format. For example, you may post instructions on a publicly available Web site for downloading or printing. If you do not provide the instructions in writing, explain in your application for certification how you will ensure that each installer is informed of the installation requirements.[73 FR 37243, June 30, 2008, as amended at 81 FR 74146, Oct. 25, 2016]