380.31 Royalty fees for the public performance of sound recordings and for ephemeral recordings.§ 380.31 Royalty fees for the public performance of sound recordings and for ephemeral recordings.
(a) Royalty rates. The total license fee for all website Performances by Public Broadcasters during each year of the Term, up to the total Music ATH set forth in paragraphs (a)(1) through (5) of this section for the relevant calendar year, and Ephemeral Recordings made by Public Broadcasters solely to facilitate such website Performances, shall be $800,000 (the “License Fee”), unless additional payments are required as described in paragraph (c) of this section. The total Music ATH limits are:
(1) 2021: 360,000,000;
(2) 2022: 370,000,000;
(3) 2023: 380,000,000;
(4) 2024: 390,000,000; and
(5) 2025: 400,000,000.
(b) Calculation of License Fee. It is understood that the License Fee includes:
(1) An annual minimum fee for each Public Broadcaster for each year during the Term;
(2) Additional usage fees for certain Public Broadcasters; and
(3) A discount that reflects the administrative convenience to the Collective (for purposes of this subpart, the term “Collective” refers to SoundExchange, Inc.) of receiving annual lump sum payments that cover a large number of separate entities, as well as the protection from bad debt that arises from being paid in advance.
(c) Increase in Public Broadcasters. If the total number of Originating Public Radio Stations that wish to make website Performances in any calendar year exceeds the number of such Originating Public Radio Stations considered Public Broadcasters in the relevant year, and the excess Originating Public Radio Stations do not wish to pay royalties for such website Performances apart from this subpart, CPB may elect by written notice to the Collective to increase the number of Originating Public Radio Stations considered Public Broadcasters in the relevant year effective as of the date of the notice. To the extent of any such elections, CPB shall make an additional payment to the Collective for each calendar year or part thereof it elects to have an additional Originating Public Radio Station considered a Public Broadcaster, in the amount of the annual minimum fee applicable to Noncommercial Webcasters under subpart B of this part for each additional Originating Public Radio Station per year. Such payment shall accompany the notice electing to have an additional Originating Public Radio Station considered a Public Broadcaster.
(d) Allocation between ephemeral recordings and performance royalty fees. The Collective must credit 5% of all royalty payments as payment for Ephemeral Recordings and credit the remaining 95% to section 114 royalties. All Ephemeral Recordings that a Licensee makes which are necessary and commercially reasonable for making noninteractive digital transmissions are included in the 5%.
(e) Effect of non-performance by any Public Broadcaster. In the event that any Public Broadcaster violates any of the material provisions of 17 U.S.C. 112(e) or 114 or this subpart that it is required to perform, the remedies of the Collective shall be specific to that Public Broadcaster only, and shall include, without limitation, termination of that Public Broadcaster's right to be treated as a Public Broadcaster per this paragraph (e) upon written notice to CPB. The Collective and Copyright Owners also shall have whatever rights may be available to them against that Public Broadcaster under applicable law. The Collective's remedies for such a breach or failure by an individual Public Broadcaster shall not include termination of the rights of other Public Broadcasters to be treated as Public Broadcasters per this paragraph (e), except that if CPB fails to pay the License Fee or otherwise fails to perform any of the material provisions of this subpart, or such a breach or failure by a Public Broadcaster results from CPB's inducement, and CPB does not cure such breach or failure within 30 days after receiving notice thereof from the Collective, then the Collective may terminate the right of all Public Broadcasters to be treated as Public Broadcasters per this paragraph (e) upon written notice to CPB. In such a case, a prorated portion of the License Fee for the remainder of the Term (to the extent paid by CPB) shall, after deduction of any damages payable to the Collective by virtue of the breach or failure, be credited to statutory royalty obligations of Public Broadcasters to the Collective for the Term as specified by CPB.
(f) Use of contractors. The right to rely on this subpart is limited to Public Broadcasters, except that a Public Broadcaster may employ the services of a third Person to provide the technical services and equipment necessary to deliver website Performances on behalf of such Public Broadcaster, but only through an Authorized website. Any agreement between a Public Broadcaster and any third Person for such services shall:
(1) Obligate such third Person to provide all such services in accordance with all applicable provisions of the statutory licenses and this subpart;
(2) Specify that such third Person shall have no right to make website Performances or any other performances or Ephemeral Recordings on its own behalf or on behalf of any Person or entity other than a Public Broadcaster through the Public Broadcaster's Authorized website by virtue of its services for the Public Broadcaster, including in the case of Ephemeral Recordings, pre-encoding or otherwise establishing a library of sound recordings that it offers to a Public Broadcaster or others for purposes of making performances, but instead must obtain all necessary licenses from the Collective, the copyright owner or another duly authorized Person, as the case may be;
(3) Specify that such third Person shall have no right to grant any sublicenses under the statutory licenses; and
(4) Provide that the Collective is an intended third-party beneficiary of all such obligations with the right to enforce a breach thereof against such third Person.