380.20 Definitions.§ 380.20 Definitions.
For purposes of this subpart, the following definitions apply:
Educational Transmission means an eligible nonsubscription transmission (as defined in 17 U.S.C. 114(j)(6)) made by a Noncommercial Educational Webcaster over the internet.
Noncommercial Educational Webcaster means a noncommercial webcaster (as defined in 17 U.S.C. 114(f)(4)(E)(i)) that:
(1) Has obtained a compulsory license under 17 U.S.C. 112(e) and 114 and the implementing regulations therefor to make Educational Transmissions and related Ephemeral Recordings;
(2) Complies with all applicable provisions of Sections 112(e) and 114 and applicable regulations in 37 CFR part 380;
(3) Is directly operated by, or is affiliated with and officially sanctioned by, and the digital audio transmission operations of which are staffed substantially by students enrolled at, a domestically accredited primary or secondary school, college, university or other post-secondary degree-granting educational institution;
(4) Is not a “public broadcasting entity” (as defined in 17 U.S.C. 118(f)) qualified to receive funding from the Corporation for Public Broadcasting pursuant to its criteria; and
(5) Takes affirmative steps not to make total transmissions in excess of 159,140 Aggregate Tuning Hours (ATH) on any individual channel or station in any month, if in any previous calendar year it has made total transmissions in excess of 159,140 ATH on any individual channel or station in any month.