1201.13 How will NARA contract for collection services§ 1201.13 How will NARA contract for collection services?
NARA uses the services of a private collection contractor where it determines that such use is in NARA's best interest. When NARA determines that there is a need to contract for collection services, NARA:
(a) Retains sole authority to:
(1) Resolve any dispute with the debtor regarding the validity of the debt;
(2) Compromise the debt;
(3) Suspend or terminate collection action;
(4) Refer the debt to the DOJ for litigation; and
(5) Take any other action under this part;
(b) Requires the contractor to comply with the:
(1) Privacy Act of 1974, as amended, to the extent specified in 5 U.S.C. 552a(m);
(2) Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (15 U.S.C. 1692-1692o); and
(3) Other applicable Federal and State laws pertaining to debt collection practices and applicable regulations of NARA in this part;
(c) Requires the contractor to account accurately and fully for all amounts collected; and
(d) Requires the contractor to provide to NARA, upon request, all data and reports contained in its files related to its collection actions on a debt.